Curated by Geordie Crawley and Serena Chalker, eight artists – four choreographers and four composers – will collaborate to produce four amazing new dance and sound works to be presented at the Alex Hotel, in the thriving heart of Northbridge.
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
Tura is seeking expressions of interest from Perth based composers and sound designers to take part in this hotel-wide activation of the Alex Hotel in August 2021. We are looking for artists interested in site-responsive compositional practice and presentation outside of traditional performance spaces. This year audiences will experience the work through stereo headphones given the public nature of the Alex Hotel.
Composers who have been included in successful choreographer application will be matched with this choreographer if successful. If this is not the case, composers will be matched with choreographers at the discretion of the selection panel. Due to the size of the venue, composers will create a pre recorded composition.
To see the spaces and hear from the curators prior to submitting your application, please come along to the site visit:
Where: Alex Hotel
When: Monday, 19 July at 4.30pm
Images of the site can be accessed here.
- All works will be experienced by the audience through silent disco headphones for the duration of the performances.
- Unlike previous years, it will not be possible to perform live as numbers of performers will be limited due to the size of the accessible spaces.
- Rehearsal is available on-site Monday-Thursday 10am-6pm from 2 August.
- Rehearsals will be subject to sound restrictions and must ensure minimal disruption to the hotel operations.
- This years new partnership with WAAPA’s LINK Dance Company will give choreographers the opportunity to work with some of the best emerging dance artists in WA. In addition to the allocated number of LINK artists, each work will include two additional independent dancers.
Composer fee: $1,000 (plus 9.5% superannuation)
Submission Opens: Thursday, 14 July
Site Visit: Monday, 19 July at 4.30pm @ The Alex Hotel
EOI Closes: 5.00pm on Friday, 23 July
Notification: 27 July
Rehearsals: from 2 August
Performance Season: 25 – 28 August with three performances running per night
PLEASE NOTE: Late applications, and applications not submitted in the correct format will not be eligible for assessment.
Your submission will be reviewed by a panel of stakeholders including SITU-8 curators and representatives from Tura New Music, LINK Dance Company and the Alex Hotel, STRUT Dance will chair the panel and act as an advisory body only.
Any questions please email email@example.com
Please fill out the online form with the information below.
- A clear EOI (350 words maximum) demonstrating your interest in and curiosity for site-based creativity and your desire to make new work. Please include your experience as a composer working with dance and other art forms.
- Current biography including links to 2-3 audio examples of work (1 page PDF upload).