As part of the Fremantle Biennale
HMAS Ovens Oberon Class Submarine, WA Maritime Museum
1–24 Nov 2019 | Thur-Sun | 5pm-7pm | 4 x audio tours 30′ from start to end
$15 + BF Tickets here.
This venue has strict conditions of entry, see below.
A sound work echoing from within the submerged politics of the cold war; exploring variable pressure, material acoustics and the intensities of resonance.
Lawrence English (b 1976) is a composer, artist and curator living in Brisbane, Australia. His work is broadly concerned with the politics of perception, specifically he is interested in the nature of listening and sounds’ capability to occupy the body. He is the Director of the label and multi-arts organisation Room40.
Tura presents this event with the following partners:
WA Maritime Museum
Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
Please read the following carefully before booking a Standing Wave aboard the HMAS Ovens Submarine tour.
- The ‘Standing Wave’ Submarine tour takes approximately 30 minutes to complete.
- The tour involves climbing 9-metre high scaffolding stairs with gaps, steeply inclined ladders, and bending down through narrow hatchways.
- There are no toilet facilities on board the Submarine.
- A reasonable level of fitness, freedom from significant injuries, and the ability to climb independently without mobility aids to complete the tour. Mobility aids include wheelchairs, walking frames, prams, baby carriers.
- Children are not permitted to be carried whilst on board the Submarine.
- Participants must be a minimum of six (6) years or older and a minimum of 100 cm in height.
- Participants between the ages of six (6) and 15 years must be accompanied and supervised by an adult.
- Flat shoes with enclosed toes are recommended. High heels are not permitted.
- No loose hand-held items are permitted, including bulky backpacks and cameras.
- Lockers are available for hire to secure these items, please enquire at the WA Maritime Museum front desk.
- A maximum of ten (10) participants per tour group, inclusive of accompanying parents, guardians, teachers or other.
- The HMAS Ovens Submarine is a significant historical collection item, please refrain from touching the vessel other than as necessary for the tour.
- Food and drinks are not permitted on the vessel.
- Smoking (including the use of e-cigarettes and similar personal vaporisers) is not permitted on board or around the vessel.
- The Fremantle Biennale and The Museum reserves the right to refuse entry.
- Submarine tours may be cancelled due to inclement weather conditions. Tickets will be refunded in such events.
- In the event you are required to evacuate the vessel, please remain with your tour group and follow instructions from the Museum representative.
- The Museum acknowledges that sometimes there are exceptional circumstances when the above guidelines may be varied at the Museum’s discretion.